The Gluten Free Lifestyle
It can aggravate or cause conditions like:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Heart disease,
- ADD and ADHD
- Brain fog and headaches
- IBS and Colitis,
- Pain in the body,
- Weight gain
- Chronic fatigue Syndrome.
You may be exercising, drinking water and doing all the things you should do to lose weight and keep it off but nothing is happening. Does this sound familiar? Unfortunately you might be eating gluten and not even realize it. Food manufacturer’s add gluten to virtually all types of boxed, packaged and canned foods and is used as a thickener or coating for many foods. It can be lurking in drugs, salad dressing, soy sauce, even cosmetics such as lipsticks, lotions and shampoos.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat grain and is responsible for making unsuspecting people look at least 10-15 pounds heavier than they really are without realizing them realizing it. Gluten can compromise the immune system, depress energy levels, increase the hormones in the body that cause weight gain like Cortisol and alter the metabolic rate so much so it makes it impossible to lose weight.
If Toast is part of a daily breakfast meal, sandwich for lunch, a granola bar for a snack and garlic bread with dinner. It is too much and causes an immune system overload.
Here is how the cycle begins:
- The day begins with a piece of toast
- Serotonin levels drop, blood sugar levels drop and adrenaline drops
- Mood swings occur including anxiety or onset of depression
- Cravings for more reactive foods or high carbohydrate foods
- Immune system reacts as well as hormone levels leading to tissue swelling
- Feeling of heaviness and fatigue
- Storage of excess food calories mainly as FAT
- Metabolism declines
- More fatigue, more mood swings and weight gain
- More cravings
- Swelling of intestinal membranes allowing allergens to assimilate in the intestines preventing healthy nutrients from being absorbed leading to nutritional deficiencies
- Weakened immune system due to lack of nutrient absorption
- Increased swelling and bloating
- Increased reaction to these foods with more cravings
- And the cycle begins all over again
When you eat gluten, the food particles end up in your fat cells causing them to swell leading to that bloated feeling. The body sends water to help dissipate this reaction to remove the reactive food particles however this is more difficult if the body is lacking water. Hence, the bloated feeling and by simply eliminating gluten, this is the first step to reducing body fat and increasing energy in the process